Blackburn 4-3 Crewe- Match Report

Shane Duffy the hero as Blackburn hit back for extra-time victory

Sky Bet Championship strugglers Blackburn had to come back from an early two-goal deficit to eventually see off League Two opponents Crewe 4-3 after extra-time in the EFL Cup.

A paltry Ewood Park crowd watched a ding-dong encounter which was won in the 97th minute when Shane Duffy headed home Craig Conway's corner.

The defeat was a first in any competition this term for Crewe.

Owen Coyle's Rovers began the tie brightly enough, with Liam Feeney firing narrowly over with a shot on the turn inside the opening five minutes.

However, a wonder-strike from Billy Bingham handed the Alex the lead in the eighth minute.

Callum Saunders touched the ball to Bingham some 30 yards out and the lively midfielder crashed home left-footed right into the top corner of the net.

Buoyed by their shock opener - Bingham's first goal for Crewe - Steve Davis's men went on to create the next couple of chances.

George Cooper drove a shot inches wide from distance, before the same player teed-up Chris Dagnall, who drove an effort wastefully over from inside the box.

The hosts almost levelled in the 33rd minute

Duffy thumped in a header which goalkeeper Ben Garratt superbly beat away, while Scott Wharton fluffed his chance with the rebound.

A minute later, Sam Gallagher scooped a shot wide from 15 yards.

The hosts were punished six minutes before the break when Crewe went two clear.

Bingham's long-range strike was spilled by Spanish keeper David Raya, straight into the path of Dagnall, who mopped up the rebound from close range.

Hope Akpan reduced Rovers' deficit two minutes later when he slotted home Jason Lowe's measured through ball.

Six minutes after the restart the woodwork saved Rovers

Alex Kiwomya played in Cooper and his curling left-footed strike struck the crossbar.

Rovers found their feet eventually and after a smart move, sub Danny Guthrie hit a crisp half-volley inches over the top.

The hosts levelled in the 69th minute with teenager Wharton bundling home his first senior goal at the second attempt after his initial header from Conway's corner hit the bar.

In the final 10 minutes neither side appeared to fancy extra-time, so both went in search of a late winner.

Crewe sub James Jones saw an effort bravely blocked, while Raya denied Kiwomya.

At the other end, Duffy's looping header almost beat Garratt, before Conway thought he had completed the turnaround when he volleyed Rovers into a 3-2 lead in the 87th minute.

However, Dagnall smashed home from 20 yards deep into added time to send the game into extra-time where Duffy, who had scored three own goals this season, scored at the right end to win it.

Source : PA

Source: PA