Rovers 3 Huddersfield Town 1

Last updated : 21 September 2005 By Footymad Previewer
Mark Hughes wasn't taking any chances, naming seven of the players that started against Newcastle on Sunday in his line-up.

The Terriers were without the suspended Tom Clarke, while "Mr Huddersfield" Andy Booth replaced Gary Taylor-Fletcher upfront.

After a nervous opening, Rovers took the lead with a fine move on 11 minutes - their first goal in over 390 minutes of play.

Bellamy nicked the ball around his marker to Brett Emerton and after the Aussie winger returned a precise through ball into his path, the Welshman calmly slotted the ball past Paul Rachubka and into the corner of the goal.

Huddersfield's best chance of the half came from a free-kick on 25 minutes. Pawel Abbott's curling strike whistled narrowly wide of Brad Friedel's right-hand post after David Bentley was adjudged to have handled the ball.

Ryan Nelsen was guilty of squandering chances at the other end from successive corners. His first, a glancing header at the near post, narrowly missed the target and his second looked even easier, a free header six yards out that skimmed across the face of the goal.

Rovers continued to dominate and carved open another good opportunity on 37 minutes.

Tugay swept a delightful ball forward to Bellamy, the former Newcastle striker found his strike partner with a smart flick, but Paul Dickov's left-footed strike from the edge of the area was comfortable for Rachubka.

Rovers made a positive start to the second half and were two up by the hour mark. Rachubka made a superb save to deny Emerton from a Robbie Savage free-kick, but from the resultant corner, Zurab Khizanishvili rose highest to double Rovers' lead.

Two minutes later and it was almost three. After picking up the ball close to the halfway line, Bentley beat three Huddersfield players before attempting an audacious chip from 25 yards that landed on the roof of the net.

With ten minutes left on the clock, Huddersfield pulled a goal back. Substitute Chris Brandon flicked the perfect ball through for Abbott and the Polish striker took his tally to nine goals in 11 games with a fierce low drive.

But as Peter Jackson's side pushed forward, Rovers hit them on the break.

Morten Gamst Pedersen found Bellamy in space and after coolly rounding the keeper, he added his second of the game to become Rovers' leading scorer for the season.